Monday, November 13, 2006

Look for the Bright Side

I am of course disappointed about the election. The thought of Nancy Pelosi leading the House of Reps makes me sick to my stomach (darn, my IRA was doing so well). The thought of a Democrat controlled Senate makes me fear the next Supreme Court appointment confirmation, or non-confirmation I guess. However, I like to look on the bright side whenever possible.

Here's one bright spot. We got to skip the post election tears and recriminations. There were lots of really close elections that the Republicans lost. If Democrats had been the ones to lose by such small margins we would have had to have recounts, lawsuits and allegations of election stealing. As Ann Coulter pointed out, suddenly the Dibold electronic voting machines work!

Also, some really lousy Republicans bit the dust, namely Lincoln Chafee and Mike DeWine. Hopefully both will leave politics entirely or switch parties. They were never good Republicans or good representatives or good anything in my humble opinion.

Finally, neither majority is large enough to override a Presidential veto. Consequently I doubt the Dems can raise my taxes until 2009. By then the house at least could be back in Republican hands especially if the Democrats who talked so tough and conservative prior to this election go to Washington and legislate like liberals.

My advice, pray for gridlock (my IRA would like that) and look on the bright side.

No comments: