Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Big "C" and Me?

Yikes. After years of having dermatologists scrape samples of skin from me and later call to say "Nothing to worry about" I've finally gotten the other result. I had a six month appointment with my dermatologist on Monday. Dr C, as we call her (her full name is a tongue twister) found one spot on my neck and two spots on my back that required testing. Today she called me to say that all three are some form of skin cancer. Now I have to go back to have them removed completely. If that isn't annoying enough I must have them done one at a time beginning with the neck on March 13th.

This is not unexpected and not a terribly serious concern. This is the result of dozens of Florida summers spent on the beach and by the pool and at the Palm Beach Hawaiian. It shouldn't shake me like it did. I was in the grocery store when I got the call from Dr. C. I hadn't begun shopping yet and I had a pretty long list. I considered skipping the shopping and going home. I considered calling Jack at work to tell him. I felt light headed and a little sick to my stomach. I thought I was being silly and completed my shopping before heading home.

I made a meatloaf, went to the bank, went to have lunch at the elementary school with the little girl I mentor only to find there was no school today (some sort of teacher event). I'll tell Jack tonight. This is not a big deal but it is cancer.

No comments: