Thursday, March 02, 2006

My Biggest Fan

When I was active in a big club in South Florida I was young and pretty. I took great care with my appearance when attending club events but was always surprised to learn that anyone had discussed my appearance. One year at the Christmas Party I learned one of the men present had asked another man "Have you seen Leslie yet?". Although he described my appearance with a modest "Not all bad" the point he was making was "Do not miss seeing Leslie tonight." He was an architect and expressed amazement that the color of my lipstick exactly matched my dress. I didn't bother to tell him I was wearing a blend of two lipsticks and the result did not really match the dress exactly (men are notoriously color blind).

At another meeting I chose to wear my glasses rather than bother with my contacts and donned a demure dress. This was an outfit I often wore to work and described as my "School Marm" look. I was accosted by a member of the club whom I didn't really know. I couldn't tell you his name or pick him out of a police lineup but he felt perfectly comfortable giving me fashion advice. I shouldn't dress like that he told me. "you are too pretty to wear such a long skirt and you shouldn't wear glasses", he said. That wouldn't have left much of an impression except he was so adamant about it. He seemed personally upset that I had toned down my look for one evening.

He should see me now!

No comments: