Saturday, June 03, 2006

I'm Not in Florida Anymore

Yesterday was a sunny warm day and for the first time since our move to Illinois I wore a favorite outfit from last summer. The mostly green floral print blouse was one of my last purchases at Burdines, a store that is no more but which was for my entire life "the Florida store". Apparently such bright colors aren't as common here in the Midwest where I received three "compliments" on my quote "Hawaiian print blouse". Thank heavens I was wearing white shorts instead of the yellow capris I used to match with this particular blouse. The addition of even more color might have stopped traffic.

I was reminded of a conversation I had with an American woman in London. This women said she was leaving that day which should be obvious from the bright colors she was wearing. The inference was that one would never dress in bright colors in London, something I hadn't known. After that conversation I did notice that there was a decided lack of bright clothing on, well everyone I saw. I'm all for "When in Rome" but I like my bright tropical clothing and will wear them whenever I choose.

No comments: