Thursday, August 24, 2006

Glad Not to be a Native

Labor Day is fast approaching and summer will soon be over. I'm glad I'm not a native of Illinois as they go through a painful transition this time of year. With each wonderfully cool evening or misty morning an apprehension grows within the native Illini. There is this nervousness, a sense of being on edge as the Illini silently wonder "Is this it, is summer over?" Despite the mild weather we had last year the specter of winter in Chicagoland looms. Memories of endless days with gun metal gray skies, below freezing temperatures, backbreaking drifts of wet snow and biting winds haunt and taunt.

The Illini put forward a brave front. Fall and Halloween are celebrated like nowhere I've been before with Septemberfests and Octoberfests, some of which are in September??? Still the barely disguised panic is there, bubbling below the surface, eating at the psyche of the native Illini as they assemble their elaborate display of pumpkins, scarecrow and spooky scenes. How much nicer it is to be new to the area and get a thrill at the thought of autumn leaves. I look forward to our first evening cool enough to merit a fire in the fireplace. I'll be happy to put summer behind me and pull out my sweats and sweaters. I miss my warm socks my flannel pajamas and wearing my jeans nearly all the time. I'm ready for the electric bill to go down and the gas bill to go up.

I would love to have snow in time for Thanksgiving but I'll keep that to myself and let my neighbors deal with the change of seasons without subjecting them to my private euphoria.

Happy Halloween everybody!

No comments: