Sunday, November 01, 2009

Cereal Bowl Backlash

I don't eat cereal, I'm not a child. I remember a study a few years back that claimed "people who have cereal for breakfast are healthier than those who do not". Of course they are! Not because of the cereal but because they do what is expected of them. Cereal is for breakfast so that is what they eat. I assure you these are the people who wait an hour after eating before they swim. They look both ways before they cross the street they are going to outlive their less boring counterparts.

But I digress. It isn't cereal eaters that have got me steamed it is cereal bowls. I have lived for over fifteen years with a man who likes to have a bowl of cereal before bed nearly every night. It has never been much of a problem. I have no idea why a man who conscientiously rinses out his wine glass and places it in the sink drainer each evening has to leave his cereal bowl in the sink. There it sits the next morning with it's little spoon and the inevitable traces of left behind sweetened milk. Oh well, such is my lot in life and if this had been the extent of it you would never have heard a complaint from me, but things have gotten worse, much worse.

I now have three cereal eating people in my home. One person is very likely to rinse her bowl and spoon and place them in the dishwasher. Two can't seem to do this simple task. So, now when I get up in the morning I have a bowl to rinse and put in the dishwasher and if I go off to work or out to run errands there is a very good chance another bowl will appear in the sink while I am gone. No matter how clean I leave the kitchen there is a good chance that when I return a bowl and a spoon will be there to greet me. With a small puddle of milk just mocking me. Damn you cereal bowl, damn you to hell.

No comments: