Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Is a cup of tea too much to ask?

Is a cup of tea too much to ask? If you are a coffee drinker perhaps you can relate. Imagine that when you wake up and stagger into the kitchen one morning seeking that first cup that you need so desperately only to find that someone has hidden the coffee. This is something that happens to me about every 3 to 6 months. Making my morning tea requires four things, a cup, a teabag, sweetener and my two cup measuring cup. Who can wait for a kettle to boil when the microwave can serve up two cups of boiling water in 3 minutes? However, I need my Pyrex two cup measuring cup to hold the water while it boils. This has been explained to my husband on several occasions.

Still, this morning I was ready for my necessary cup of tea and my husband was already gone to work. My cup which I had left on the kitchen counter was nowhere to be found. It was not in the dishwasher, where I usually find it. It was not in either of the kitchen cabinets where plates, cups and bowls abide. I did find a rarely used 1 quart measuring cup and filled it half way and put it into the microwave.

I prepared my tea cup with a tea bag and two packets of Splenda and then had two minutes to stop and think. Where? Where could he have put it this time? I realized that both of my 2 cup and my 1 cup measuring cups were all missing. They had to be together somewhere. Two out of three had been in the dishwasher which my husband emptied the evening before. Okay, I had already looked where these items should be it was time to look where they shouldn’t be.

It was a short search. I found all three cups stacked inside each other on the top shelf of the pantry next to the flour, sugar and microwave popcorn. Should I explain my need for this one item to never be moved or just buy two more identical cups as back-ups? I could stash them in secret places like an alcoholic hiding booze. That question needs to be left to a morning when I get my cup of tea without the scavenger hunt.

No comments: