Wednesday, February 22, 2006

DUBAI OR NOT DUBAI

That is the question and I do not yet have the answer. I heard yesterday that 97% of people polled were against the sale of a British firm to Dubai Ports World, a firm in the United Arab Emirates. Whenever nearly 100% of Americans agree on something we need to take a second look. Then there is Jimmy Carter, the worst president in my lifetime, coming out in favor of the sale. Carter has opposed President Bush on every issue for the past 6 years. I don't know if this is a case of "even a broken clock being right twice a day" or if Carter finally realized that he can do more harm to the Bush administration by siding with them, than he can by siding against.

On Fox and Friends yesterday their guest, whose name I didn't get, was against the sale. In making his case he mentioned the general lack of port security and the "smart containers" that are used in Hong Kong's port as an example of something we should be doing. I don't know if he was aware that port is run by the Dubai Ports World. I heard the explanation from the Bush administration for this plan and there is something in the Wall Street Journal I'd like to read before I make my decision.

The one thing I am sure of at this point is that I am sick of our legislature taking responsibility for nothing. Whatever goes wrong the members of our House and Senate act like they just got there and are quick to blame the President or whomever is handy. Congress insisted on a Department of Homeland Security and pilloried the President until he agreed. They were the ones who set it up with FEMA included in this huge bureaucracy and when FEMA was unable to respond adequately to Hurricane Katrina they blames President Bush like they had no hand in setting FEMA up for failure. The vetting process the Dubai company went through was designed by our elected representatives in the House and Senate. It was a long process but did not call for congressional review yet now they cry "Why was this done in secret?" "Why weren't we consulted". I am just sick of it!

No comments: