Thursday, January 05, 2006

Hello From Chicagoland

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:21 PM

The gray skies I have been expecting for weeks now finally arrived yesterday, but didn't last. It was warm yesterday with a high of 62 degrees but the weather looked bleak and I expected it to last all winter. The two trees behind our home which were beautifully gold in recent weeks are now nearly completely bare and the one out front which was green yesterday went yellow overnight. A soft rain fell into the evening, soaking my 8 foot inflatable spooky tree. I had a big bowl of candy ready last night and only got 3 chubby, obnoxious preteen boy trick-or-treaters. As greedy as they were, Jack will have enough candy to last him though next summer.

Sunday, while Jack made full use of his Direct TV Sunday Ticket I went to a Halloween party and fund raising event in nearby Elk Grove. It was fun seeing all the kids in their costumes. I feel a bit guilty because I went to support the event and came away with a painting I really like for only $40 in the silent auction.

Today according to the weather folk on the radio I've gotten yet another reprieve from the coming weather. It is cool and sunny and expected to stay nice and get warmer until Friday. I plan to go into the city tomorrow. Jack and I will be spending the first weekend in December in the city. I'm using the last of my Hilton points to spend two nights in the Chicago Hilton and we plan to go out on the town, see an exhibit at the Museum and experience the last Christmas ever at Marshall Fields in downtown Chicago.

Thu Nov 03 06:59:59 2005

It was an amazing day in Chicago. Sunny, warm (62 degrees). I went to see if I could get a ticket for Wicked. They have a drawing at noon and sell 20 tickets for $25 in the front row. There were only 21 people there and only one didn't get a ticket. I didn't care as I had already decided I would try again next Wednesday and would rather not spend what might be the last nice day for months indoors. So I went to Marshall Fields! I really need to dress better when I go into the city. Jackcalled me and I left Marshall Fields to get better reception. While I was talking to him I walked over a subway grate while the train passed below. It blew my hair straight up for a second, not exactly a Marilyn Monroe moment but it gave me a chuckle.

I took a walk along the Miracle Mile and walked all the way back to Union Station. I was just loving it! Soaking up the energy of the city, Then I came to an intersection lined with police. I love to see their hats with the checkerboard strip. Unfortunately I had happened upon the anti Bush administration rally called "The World Can't Wait". Stinking anarchist nitwits, ruining my mood! The President was reelected just one year ago but they want to override that election and have him step down. Then what? They hate Chaney worse than Bush and if he steps down Dennis Hastert becomes President which I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate any better. Idiots! I chatted with the cops briefly and continued on, they were with me on this issue.

I hope I am slowly learning my way around downtown. I learn something new with each visit. For example, the corner of the bus stop shelter that best protects you from the wind will always smell of pee, so put on your scarf and mittens and stand outside. Also, just because a fire truck is bearing down on you that doesn't necessarily mean you should wait to cross the street.

The cold hasn't bothered me yet but the locals don't seem to react to temperature changes like I do. I was wearing a sweater and got too warm shortly after I entered Marshall Fields but other women there seemed comfortable even though they weren't taking off their coats and scarves, unless they were having lunch. I considered buying a tee shirt but the only ones I saw were $75 and UGLY! I can hardly wait for next Wednesday. I'd go into town again today but we have a leak that needs to be dealt with and the men are coming at 1pm today.

No comments: