Tuesday, January 17, 2006

OH, Did MLK Have a Birthday Too?


Jack and I were in Florida this past weekend for my Dad's 80th Birthday. We arrived at PBIA at 10:10pm on Friday and needed to get to our hotel in Stuart before the front desk closed at midnight. We were staying at the Suburban Extended Stay in Stuart which I thought was a fairly new hotel. Perhaps due to our late arrival we got a room that was less than impressive. Two beds, a refrigerator and microwave, all the comforts of home but...........The carpet was a bit worn the curtain was hanging oddly from only 4 hooks above the rather noisy airconditioner, a window style model and the room didn't smell fresh and clean. Well, we've had a few mediocre accommodations in our time together and they did have Fox News Channel so we just settled in and attempted to get to sleep before 1 am.

My Mother was the one who had recommended the Suburban Extended Stay in Stuart which she assured me was brand new. My Mother was a bit miffed when I suggested to her that she not recommend the Suburban to anyone else in the future. I'm pretty sure she agrees with me now however. In the Monday morning paper my Mom learned that while Jack and I were nestled all snug in our beds two of our fellow guests at the Suburban were having a fight. The loser was stabbed to death with a steak knife. Oh well I guess that could happen anywhere.

Anxious to see my nieces and nephews I was up and out by 7:30 am. Suprisingly, everyone was up. Apparently my Brother and Brother-in-law woke everyone as they got ready to leave for golf. The children all gave me a hug but once they saw there were no presents forthcoming they lost interest in me. It was terribly chilly and windy but Katie was determined that she was going swimming. I don't blame her. Katie is old enough to remember living in Wellington with a pool in the backyard and endless opportunities to swim. So, three out of four children got in the pool. Debi and I watched as did Madison dressed in Katie's parka.

There was a party at Ruthann's starting at 2pm which was very nice. There were lots of foods to choose from spread out on their pool table and beer and wine. The party kept going strong since more folks were arriving than leaving throughout the afternoon and evening. My Uncle Ted and his Daughter Nancy and Son-in-law Jack had driven down from Daytona and lots of friends from Palm Beach County drive up.

On Sunday we were all supposed to meet at Mom and Dad's for a family day. My Dad's brother Leo with his wife Nancy arrived from Lakeland and we all watched the Pittsburgh game together. I made several attempts to get some good photos of my nieces and Nephews but Katie squints if the sun is out and Cameron didn't have a shirt on all day. Oh well, I still have the photos from last June.

Jack and I flew out first thing Monday. All in all it was a very nice week-end and we didn't learn about the homicide until we were back in IL.

No comments: